CORPUS SOMNIUM IS… Corpus Somnium is a treasure chest full of bits and pieces of collected material that we gather together intuitively without any real purpose in mind. These individual jewels can be virtually anything that sparks our curiosity: images, …
CORPUS SOMNIUM IS…
Corpus Somnium is a treasure chest full of bits and pieces of collected material that we gather together intuitively without any real purpose in mind. These individual jewels can be virtually anything that sparks our curiosity: images, texts, videos… all of them tiny points of light in this Great Web of Stories.
Corpus Somnium is a pool of raw materials culled from our daily experience. Each fragment may seem at first glance to have no intrinsic value of its own, but upon classifying these scraps with a set of quick labels, their hidden relationships begins to surface, and the chain of interconnections takes form. When looking at these patterns over time, narratives begin to take shape, stories come into being.
Corpus Somnium is Diluvio’s B-side, the investigative aspect to our work. On this site you will find the invisible universe that is at the basis of our works at Diluvio, whether they be films, videos, installations, drawings, paintings, short stories, scripts- whatever- this site represents a working collection of the things that inspire us and feed our work. It is a constantly growing mythological universe, a broth of digital data that leads us towards new discoveries.
Corpus Somnium is a digital scrapbook.
…the diary of a trip.
…a changing map.
…a museum of fetishes.
…a cabinet of curiosities.
…the Society of the Crumbs.
THE RULES OF OUR INVESTIGATION:
1. There is always a starting seed, a guiding star, a patron saint that leads every search. This must be found. You may not know what it is at the beginning of your journey but you must be attentive to the various signs that appear. Eventually you must find this guiding star or your search will have no purpose.
2. Always stay faithful to the guiding star of your search. If you ignore this guiding principal then you will spiral into a chaotic (and often destructive) sphere of infinite arbitrariness.
3. No piece of evidence is more or less valid than the next. The only thing that distinguishes pieces is their relation to each other (this relationship is provided by your guiding star). Focus on the dynamics of the relationship, not the piece in itself.
4. Keep fresh, don’t suffocate your intuition while on the hunt. Don’t get bogged down by over-looking, extreme meticulousness, or attention to too much detail… keep moving, use your nose (not your brain).
5. Make sure to keep some kind of chronicle of your search. Whether it be jotting down notes, taking pictures, it doesn’t matter, the nature of this chronicle should be spontaneous first impressions. Don’t spend too much time on them, you will return to them later. The chronicle is necessary only as a rough sketch of the path you have taken through the woods…
6. You are not a bureaucrat: have fun and let your passion guide you.
7. Be rigorous with your passion, always try to reach the hidden source of everything you find.
8. Each time you begin working repeat these rules out loud (as if they were a prayer).
9. Each one of these rules can be broken whenever it is absolutely essential to do so.